Wednesday, April 18, 2007

All about dreams

Recently I was asked about the question of dreams and also there was an ongoing conversation with a close friend of mine on dreams as well; which kept this topic as one of my bin items to blog about.
Psychologically, dreams are often interpreted as the imaginations or illusions of the mind and are not desirable for a good night's sleep. During sleep (which is supposed to be the time for the mind to take a rest. When the mind starts to wander off; creating all the illusions and visions of anything, then experts interpret that as some sort of REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep; which in turn tells us that your mind did not get the rest it deserved. And usually, this is when your eye lids flutter and also your mind is most wide awake; therefore usually your dreams can be recalled the next day or after waking up.
That is the reason why some of us wake up looking tired and exhausted and feeling frustrated despite tucking themselves into bed every night.
Dreams keep your mind active; it is still running; in processing all those images, etc. Sometimes, even strong emotions can be experienced while in dreams and thus represented in realities. For instance when you are asleep, and all of a sudden you laugh out loud and you are filled with tears upon wake up.
Dreams; vague topic - not biologically proven in its significance and all that can be said relates to the neurology part of the human body. I will not go too much into the science; you can read that in Google or Wikipedia.
I will just share my thoughts on dreams.
Can we remember our dreams?
Well, I guess it really depends on the effects....and also your state of mind. As mentioned earlier, the REM sleep usually indicates the mind at its highest level of wakefulness and usually if you experience all the strong emotions, you can usually remember your dream. Even so, it may not be the full details of your dream:)
Most of the dreams are only there when you sleep and somehow you always wake up remembering nothing from your dream....and can only mumble that you dreamt of something the night before.
Weird huh?
There's also the psychological interpretation of dream; whereby different types of dreams and the images you see relate to your everyday life and also the lack of something or a longing you have in life.
I do know something about dreams' interpretation as well; interesting:)
The previous weeks, I have been having some weird dreams; and I won't exactly call them dreams anymore; more like nightmares!! Haha...nightmares are those that gives you the reality feeling of fear; some to the extreme.
Now I am not sure why I am having those dreams but I guess I can relate to some of my feelings and thoughts earlier.
There's so much more I can think of to talk about dreams but I guess I can only share as much :)
Do let me know of your thoughts and views on dreams as well:D

No comments: